10 Ways to Make a Kitchen Appear More Roomy
Home & Garden
When at home the majority of people spend most of their time in the kitchen. Therefore, the last thing they will want, is to feel is cooped up in a crowed and messy kitchen. It should feel spacious, light and organised. Whether you're having a kitchen remodel or just want to make the most of the space you already have, then there are ways to create the impression that the room is bigger than it actually is, and help it function better.
When it comes to kitchen designs consider the following ten tips:
- Don't put in a kitchen island if it makes the walkways too narrow. If you really do need an island then get a petite one. Maximise the floor space as much as possible.
- If eating in the kitchen at breakfast bars or an island, then choose streamlined seats or slim chairs, as these won't take over the floor space you have available.
- Maximise the worktop space you have by putting up shelving and cupboards. Open and floating shelves are attractive and work best to help make the space feel much larger.
- Use light-coloured cabinets with no fussy details on, keeping the eye free from too much going on and making it feel more roomy.
- Paint cabinets the same colour as the walls to get rid of visual boundaries, helping to keep the look of the room more open.
- Use glass fronted doors on cabinets. The eye will travel to the back of them giving the appearance of more space. The glass will also enable some extra light reflection. Think carefully how you fill the cupboards though, and don't just fill with odd bits because this may defeat the object.
- Hide away things and create a clutter free workspace, making the room feel more spacious. This will also make the kitchen function better and feel more organised.
- Use light colours to make the kitchen appear bigger and more inviting. Pale colours will reflect the light and spread it throughout the room.
- Choose vertical patterns in your decor to help move the eye upwards, giving the impression of greater height.
- Keep windows free of objects which will obscure the natural light beaming in. Swap fussy curtains for sleek roller blinds. More natural light will make the room feel more airy, giving the feel of extra space.
The kitchen should be a pleasant and enjoyable environment to be in, and by following these simple tips it should make the kitchen feel a lot more roomy.
17 May 2017